Thursday, December 16, 2010

Intro: AFRICA

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been so MIA. Writing is something I love to do, but if I am not consistent with it, I easily get distracted with other things. However, the blog is about to be 100% revamped, as I leave for Malawi, Africa in 29 days. <3 I will be teaching children English- not sure what grade yet, but it will probably be around 3rd or 4th- and will have roughly 100 students.  I can honestly say I have never been more excited for something in my entire life, for I know this is going to be a completely life-changing and eye-opening experience, one in which I really need. 
I have started getting all of the school supplies for my students; I found a 100 pack of bubbles- like the wedding favor packs- which is perfect because now each of my student can have their own set of bubbles. It's amazing how something we look at as so simple, and rather boring, is beyond fascinating to children of a third world country. It's beautiful, actually. I also got 3 800-pack stickers, construction paper, disposopal cameras, crayons, pens and calculators for the students. It's so hard trying to get things for 100, but I want to make sure everyone has an equal amount of supplies. There is a school store there to get supplies, but they don't sell "fancy" things like colored construction paper or stickers. I guarantee, though, that I'll still manage to spend a grand on supplies there- I'm going to want to give them everything.
My goal, simply, in going to Africa is to make the children smile each and every day.  To help them see the beauty in their youth and the spirit in themselves.  To teach them to the best of my ability, but more importantly, make them feel smart and accomplished.  To make sure that when I leave, I have absolutely no regrets and have a secure sense that I made a crucial difference in these children's lives. That is why I am going to Africa, now let's just hope that when these children run up to my van upon my arrival (picture attached from previous years) that I don't immediately decide to stay there forever. Peace. Love. Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment