Monday, June 13, 2011

I made it!!

I AM IN AFRICA!!! It is 6 pm here and we landed at 3 pm and had some of the people from Annie's Lodge (Lillongwe) load our luggage and drive us to the lodge. We will be staying here for tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night, and then be heading to the other Annie's Lodge in Zomba, where we will be staying for the remaining 3 weeks. So, basically this is just a temporary home for the next two days because Lillongwe is the capital and we will get to experience Africa in a different way before we enter the poor city of Zomba. 
Apparently the lodge we are at now, run by Peter (Annie's son) is not nearly as nice as the Annie's Lodge in Zomba we will be staying at (that is run by Annie). That makes me pretty excited because this one is alot nicer than I expected, and it's only going to get better! We all feel like we are in a retreat; we're in a cozy little roundabout, with 2 or 3 people in a room and a common ground in the middle. I showered once I got to the room, and we didn't unpack because we're only here for another day. I hate living out of my suitcase, yuck.  We then did our money exchange (I'll put pictures up soon) and it was so sketchy haha! But 100 dollars in American cash is 1850 in kwatcha (African money). Craziness. Now, we are just waiting for dinner (beef stew or chicken and rice) and then honestly I'm probably going to go to sleep..although a few of the girls have been taking shots at the little bar for the past hour; I think I'd pass out from lack of sleep if I took, or smelt, a sip of a shot right now.
Tomorrow we are going the "Freedom Garden" where they do organic gardening and other stuff I don't really understand. Honestly, we all just want to get to the other Annie's Lodge so we can unpack and be settled in!
The weather here was BEAUTIFUL!! It was like 75 and breezy, but rght now it's definitely getting chilly. It is so surreal that I am in Africa; I still don't think it has hit me yet, and I don't think it will hit me until I meet my students and am teaching with Katie.
Well, I will be blogging more tomorrow and uploading pictures..Ive already taken about 70 and I was on a plane for 20 hours sooo I'm a little nervous about the mass amounts of pictures that will be taken on this trip!
Thank you everyone for your prayers and high spirits; I am so excited to finally be here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment